Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Just a few memorable turkey moments...

This photo was taken the first time I went to Arizona. My friend Mark and I were birding in Madera Canyon. We'd been watching Acorn & Arizona Woodpeckers, Painted Redstarts, Mexican Jays, etc and were near Madera Kubo looking for the "owl post" when suddenly we heard something we didn't expect. We looked at each other quizzically and said to each other "turkey???" Nah, what would a turkey be doing in one of the sky islands of Arizona? But sure enough, a very brave and aggressive turkey came out of nowhere and started chasing us around the car. Very unexpected and very very amusing!


This little one visited us at work in our office park this past May for about a week or so. We've had turkeys pretty regularly, but I never had noticed one this small. It would wander around out back, pecking at the pavement. The first time I went out with any seed in my hand, it ran right for me - the last thing I expected!