Monday, May 5, 2008

Some photos from the last week

Migration seems to be a bit slow in coming this year. In the last week I've not had much to post about, except an odd visitor to my feeders at work. (Actually the reports today seem much more optimistic than the last week - unfortunately, I was unable to get away from work for any amount of time today.)

Pine Warblers, along with Palm Warblers seem to be the vanguard of our warbler migration, so it is not unusual to see them by this point. What was odd was that this Pine Warbler was coming to my feeders at work, and specifically to the suet feeder. I think this is the first time in the few years I have had feeders up in my office park that I've had a warbler come. Last time I saw him was a few days ago now.


On Saturday, while Pamela attended my sister's bridal shower, I headed out to Plum Island, where things were cold (low 40's fahrenheit) and wet. Overall a show day, but there were a few highlights including watching a large Peregrin Falcon wanting to get at something a Great Black-backed gull was picking at. (Which turned out to be a Gadwall - I suspect that it was the falcon's kill and the gull forced her off it) Also there was a pair of Tri-Colored Herons on the refuge. But one of the best points of the day was being "let in on" the location of a nesting woodcock. It was far away enough that people couldn't get to it, and you wouldn't even notice her if you didn't know where to look. I was able to get a shot or two off where she was relatively in focus (difficult with the combination of very low light and a lot of branches, trees and twigs between her and where I was) and then quietly move on.

That's all for now - with any luck I'll be able to get "into the field" tomorrow afternoon/evening and start to enjoy the spring migration!