Monday, January 25, 2010

Bird Photography Weekly #74

Toasted marshmallows. That what I always think of when I see these birds. In their alternate (breeding) plumage they are purely white with black, but in the winter when they come down into the northern US, we see them in their basic plumage - still a lot of white, but they develop some areas of color that remind me of a marshmallow that has been held over an open campfire. I always enjoy these charismatic little buntings, and while scouting for next weekend's Superbowl of Birding, I couldn't help taking the camera out and shooting some photos of this small cooperative flock.


Surveying it's domain

Stopping by the public pool

I'm ready for my close-up

How could something so cute look aggressive? Well, like this...

I like this shot as you can really see the feather tract detail and the neat pattern on the back

Umm... Nothing funny here

I called this one Narcissus

Snow Bunting - Plectrophenax nivalis



PS - as always click on the photos to see larger versions!



To see some great bird photos from around the world, check out: