Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The new year (and a new list) begins

Pamela and I started out the day yesterday with our friends Paul & Diana to start our new year list. We attended the BBC trip lead by Laura de la Flor and Mark Burns that they have led annualy on Jan 1st for the last 11 years. (This is my fourth year doing it) The morning started clear and crisp but the weather deteriorated slowly throughout the morning until early afternoon where it turned to mixed snow and rain. We did manage to get some good birds in before the weather turned - with fantastic looks at a light-morph Rough-legged Hawk that I managed to get some decent photos of...

*more photos posted in the "raptors" gallery at my pBase page

I even managed to get a life bird after the weather turned- two VERY wet and bedraggled Hoary Redpolls in absolutely miserable conditions.

The day did end on a very different note, which I think deserves a seperate post to follow.