Saturday, November 29, 2008

Saturday Birdin'

It was a beautiful brisk late autumn/early winter day here in New England. After missing the King Eider yesterday, I wanted to take another stab at it in better weather. Today we were successful, albeit the bird was too far away for any photos. The Buffleheads though, were a bit closer so I took a few pics of them...


I love the irridescence on their heads in bright sunlight. There were also large numbers of White-winged Scoters. I kept trying to get a good pic showing the detail of the bills, but they kept turning away from the light. Best one is:

I've also been trying for a while to get a good pic of a Harlequin Duck. Still not great, but my best one so far is:

After a few hours on Cape Ann, we decided to head over to Plum Island. It was a slow day on the island so we headed into town for lunch (Thai food - yummy!)

Afterwards we headed back to Plum Island. The only highlight there for us was an American Bittern - possibly the same individual we saw in October as it was in the same spot. It was beautiful in the late afternoon light.

I even got to spend some time digiscoping it. Here he is after just catching a fish.
(We saw him catch 5 fish in about 20 minutes)