Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Superbowl of Birding

OK, so I expect that you all have heard of New Jersey Audubon's annual birding competition, the World Series of Birding. I've not participated yet, but one day, as God is my witness I shall never go hungry again - I mean I will participate.

What you may not be aware of yet is that Massachusetts Audubon runs a similar competition in January, aptly named, the Superbowl of Birding. (Yep, you read that right - a birding competition in New England in January - not for the faint of heart!) This year will be the sixth consecutive year that the competition has been run, and every year it gets a little bigger and we draw teams from further and further away. I've competed for a few years with some close friends, but this year I decided I wanted to captain my own team, and I thought that it would be a blast to create a team of bird bloggers. I've been chatting with a few people, and have managed to fool convince a couple of bloggers out there to come on up to Massachusetts to join me the competition.

These are hardy birders indeed that are going to brave the New England winter (and possible Nor'easters) to search for as many birds as possible in 12 hours (5am to 5pm). We will searching out such specialties as Snowy and Short-eared Owls, Black-headed Gulls, several winter finches, a variety of alcids that can often be seen from shore here, and all the sea ducks - including the very dapper Harlequins and the much sought after King Eider.

I trust that you will recognize the names of these guys - they all have fantastic blogs and I am really and truly looking forward to meeting and birding with all of them:
Patrick from the Hawk Owl's Nest
Corey from 10,000 Birds
Quintus from the Owl Box Blog

And with any luck, we have provided just enough temptation to get N8 to join us as well.

Now I am working on coming up with a witty name for our team.
If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em!