Sunday, November 9, 2008

Snowy Owls on Plum Island

I don't have much time before I need to leave for work, but wanted to put up a quick post. Pamela and I headed up to Plum Island this morning as there have been two Snowy Owls seen at the southern tip of the island for the last week or so. They put on quite a show today, very visible hanging out on the flats at "stage Island Pool." The birds are clearly associating with each other, as they would always be in sight of each other and, more often than not, be within a few feet of each other.
Over a period of a few hours I took several hundred photos, both with the hi-zoom camera and digiscoping. It's hard to walk away from a show like that. On our way off the island, Pamela spotted a third SNOW in the tall marsh grass at the top of a sand dune. (I was told that there was another spotted earlier in the day in Salisbury - just north of Plum Island) Looks like it's going to be a really good year for Snowy Owls (fom a bird-watchers point of view, that is)

It's going to take me quite a bit of time to go through them all, but here are the first few that I looked at...