Thursday, December 4, 2008

Trinidad & Tobago, here we come!

For the last few weeks, Pamela and I have been working on trying to figure out what our next vacation will be. Ever since I picked up my first birding magazine I have been entranced (obsessed) with the idea of going to the Asa Wright Nature Center and Lodge in Trinidad. I regularly go to the website for Caligo Ventures and read about the different tours and the associated costs.
Now that dream is going to become a reality. Yesterday we scheduled our flight and mailed out the registration materials for a "Birding Venture for Independent Travelers." This particular choice of trip from Caligo is a bit shorter than some of the other options, and doesn't involve as many guided tours to different parts of the islands, but it is a good deal less expensive (which is a necessity in the current economy), and I think we'll be able to buy into an additional guided tour or two from the lodge if we feel like we are going to miss anything that we really want to see. Frankly, I think I am going to be overwhelmed as it is. I've already started dreaming about Bearded Bellbirds, Channel-billed Toucan, Blue-crowned Motmot, Rufous-tailed Jacamars Squirrel Cuckoo, Scarlet Ibis, Violacious Trogon, Ornate Hawk-Eagle, honeycreepers, hummingbirds, and of course the woodpeckers: Red-rumped, Golden-olive, Chestnut, Linneated, and my most hoped for (and least likly to see I think) Crimson-creasted Woodpecker. (And that list is just off the top of my head - there will be hundreds more bird species).

So now I want to hear from you. Have you been to Trinidad and/or Tobago? Did you write a trip report or blog about it? Any recommendations or suggestions for while we are there? (Other than to not miss the rum-punch in the afternoons!)