Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Downy Woodpeckers

For the last several days, I've counted up to 5 Downy Woodpeckers hanging around the peanut and suet feeders that I have put up at work. I can currently identify three different females and two males so I always have an idea of how many there are. I did have a third male come through for a day or so, but haven't seen him since before I went to CA.

Yesterday I had two birds on the suet, two birds on the peanut feeder and the fifth was on the branch above. This was the first time that I have seen them all at once and tolerating this kind of proximity. It made a strong enough impression that I finally remembered to bring my camera with me to try and get a few shots of them. I don't have many pictures of Downy Woodpeckers - probably because they are so common that I don't think to try and get a photo.

So anyway, here are a couple of photos of some of my DOWOs...


Playing nice

Coming around to see what's on the other side

Zygodactyl toes!