Sunday, March 9, 2008

Final Tally

I have finally had a chance to enter my California sightings into AviSys, which does a much better job of record-keeping and counting than I do. I saw a total of 154 species of birds, and saw 21 life-birds. This brings my ABA life-list up to 581. With any luck, when we go to the Texas Hill country and Big Bend in April with Paul & Diana, I'll be able to break the 600 mark.

In addition to birding with some friends, and adding a few species to my life list, one of the main purposes of this trip was to finally add Nuttall's Woodpecker to my list. One of my goals in the last three years was to see all the members of the woodpecker family that occur regularly in the United States - and Nuttall's was the last one on that list.

Nuttall's Woodpecker in Davis, CA