Thursday, September 4, 2008

Big plans for the next few weeks

So all that I've had to "twitter" about lately are my impending nuptials and the following honeymoon, but I've not gone into much detail about either. Things are going to be going at a breakneck speed for the next few days, so I thought I'd blog about it now in case I couldn't get to it later.

Pamela and I will be getting married this Sunday, the seventh of September at Stonehurst, the Robert Treat Paine Estate in Waltham, MA - a beautiful 19th century estate whose architecture was designed by HH Richardson and landscaped by Fredrick Law Olson. (In addition to my bird addiction, I am also a 19th century "armchair historian" so I am thrilled to be getting married here!) The reception will follow the ceremony, which will be performed by Pamela's brother.
It is going to be a wonderful, beautiful day.

The following Wednesday, we fly out to Anchorage to begin our honeymoon. We have booked a Princess Lines cruise tour. Mind you, this is a honeymoon - not a birding trip. Of course, that being said, we will be bringing binoculars, spotting scope, and a few cameras, and our "excursions" will be aimed toward nature sighting including birds, bears, whales etc.
We start our trip with a night in Anchorage then for the next few days, Princess carts us to a few of their lodges in McKinley and Denali. We then take a train from Denali back to Whittier to board our cruise ship to sail the inside passage cruising past College Fjord and Glacier Bay National Park and with stops in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchican. Pamela found a good deal for rooms with a private balcony on the front left side of the ship, so I expect to be spening a lot of time out there with the scope. With any luck I should be able to spot at least seven life birds on this trip and tick my 600th bird on my ABA list! (And I'm not greedy - it can be just about any bird - they are all going to be good ones!) Pamela, who has not birded the west coast at all yet should be stacking quite a few birds on her list also. (She passed the 500 mark earlier this year when we were in Texas.)

If any of you have done this tour (or one like it) and have any suggestions as to what to do, where to go, and what to look for, I'd love to hear it!