Thursday, September 25, 2008

Some insects from Alaska

I am relatively good at identifying birds - not great, but not bad. Pretty confident in my id's at this point. On the other hand, I don't know much about spiders, moths, butterflies, dragonflies, damselflies, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing 'em - I just don't know what I'm looking at most of time. I'm always trying to learn though. Anyway, here are some photos I took our second morning in Alaska. There were (at least) 4 types of moth and a spider on the outside wall of our lodge. (And White-winged Crossbills cracking cones in the trees above us.) Any help with id's would be greatly appreciated. (I do know that there are lots of helpful websites out there, for id-ing spiders and moths, I've just not had much time to surf since getting back...)

The flash really washed this one out. It was a nice rich saffron color...
The following guys were funny - they all had their heads tucked into a corner, so at first glance, they looked like little slats of wood tucked into the cracks.There were a lot of these. I actually ran across a photo of one recently on another blog, but I cannot remember where now...Unfortunately, this one came out a little blurry