Thursday, August 27, 2009

Twelve-spotted Skimmer

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. This is supposed to be a birding blog, but frankly the birding has been a bit slow (well, expect for a few outings for shorebirds) but it continues to be good times for looking at dragonflies. Today I'm posting some photos I took yesterday. I've been trying to get photos of Twelve-spotted Skimmers for a while, but the ones I've encountered have been a lot more skittish than many of the others I've tried to photograph. A lot more patience, and moving at a much, much slower pace, (anybody watching me would've thought I was doing some sort of glacial-paced Tai-chi) got me close enough to get a few pics that I like...



Twelve-spotted Skimmer (Libellula pulchella)


* As always, click on the photos to see them larger