Monday, April 21, 2008

Back from Texas

Wow, what a trip. Got in late last night (about 12:30am) and was back in the office at about 6:50 this morning. I've been playing catch up all day, but really wanted to post something.

A quick summary of the last ten days would include:
Having our initial flight plans from Boston to San Antonio on Thursday the 10th cancelled by American Airlines, but we all (Paul, Diana, Pamela & myself) managed to get out on Friday morning.
Spending 3 nights at Neal's Lodges in Concan, experiencing the Frio Bat cave, and seeing the Golden-cheeked Warbler & Black-capped Vireo, as well as dozens of other birds, many right at Neal's Lodges.
Spending 4 nights at the Chisos Mountains Lodge in Big Bend, and finding the Colima Warbler (after a very long hike) as well as finding several nesting species in the park, including Crissal's Thrasher & Common Black Hawk.
Spending 1 night at the Indian Lodge in Fort Davis searching fruitlessly for Montezuma Quail, but enjoying ourselves nevertheless.
And returning to San Antonio to 'do' the Riverwalk and see the Alamo.

I took over 2000 photos (I've already deleted almost half of them) and a dozen or so movies, and have 9 pages of notes to plow though. As soon as I can write up a trip report, I will add it to the links at the right side of this page, and I'll also be posting photos to my pBase page when I can get to them. Of course, I'll be posting more about the trip right here, as thoughts and memories come to me.

And just to add some visual candy to the post, here is a movie I took the first night when we went to the Frio Bat Cave, where millions of Free-tailed bats exit their daytime roost every evening - an amazing spectacle of nature...