Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Turkeys at work


While I was writing my earlier post, I was notified by my boss that "our" turkey was back, and had brought some friends.

To go back a bit, for several weeks in November and December last year we had a Wild Turkey that would almost always be in front of our building when the 'early morning crew' arrived. (My boss, the office manager, and myself.) At some point he learned that when I filled the feeders, there would be seed on the ground that he could eat, and would actually head towards the feeders when he saw me. Many of my co-workers got a kick out of him (especially so one day when he flew across the parking lot and to the top of one of the nearby pine trees) and so he became 'our' turkey. Lots of jokes were exchanged, as well as several stories - this is one species a lot of people have experience with in one form or another. One day he wasn't around and nobody has seen him since.

We've had turkeys in this office park before (the top photo is one that I actually took a few years ago) so I don't know if this is the same guy that was hanging around earlier in the year, but I'll be curious to see if they are around tomorrow morning and what he'll do when I go out to fill the feeders.
I ran out to take a few pictures this morning, and just now had a few minutes to download and re-size them for the blog.