Saturday, April 5, 2008

Saturday Birdin'

So I was scheduled to lead a birding trip this morning for the Brookline Bird Club (the woodpecker walk I referenced in an earlier post.) It was raining lightly when I woke up, which turned into a heavier rain by the time the walk was scheduled to start, so it was a no-go.

Instead, Pamela, Paul and myself headed up to Plum Island to see what we could find, which turned out to be a pretty nice day (bird-wise that is). We started with a Golden Plover that has been seen pretty regularly for the last week on the Plum Island turnpike, and proceeded to bird the refuge, where I managed to add another eight species to my Plum Island Year list contest. Most interesting sighting on the refuge was a cock Ring-necked Pheasant seen alongside the road at the same time as three Snipe and a flock of 19 Snow Geese.




This evening I received an e-mail from my friend Mark who just recently returned from leading a private birding tour to Arizona, and included this fantastic photo of a Gilded Flicker:

Photo ©Mark Suomala, 2008


Note the grey on the head with the red malar stripe and the gold in the tail feathers (which is in the wings as well) - all the field marks for this beautiful bird. It reminds me of my "life" Gilded Flicker that I had with Mark some years back at Patagonia State Park in SE Arizona. I've known him a few years now and have had some great birding experiences with him - he is a great birder and a really excellent guide! One of the great things about birding with Mark is that he doesn't just know the birds, but really knows gets into the entire ecology of an area. He knows the birds, mammals, plants, history etc. I think that as much as he loves the birds, he really likes to make the tours he leads a more encompassing nature tour - and I think that anybody who birds with him appreciates that knowledge. I know I do! I've gone with him to SE Arizona, Delmarva, Appledore Island off the coast of NH, and various other places in NH, and I always learning with him. Keep an eye on his web site: http://www.marksbirdtours.com/ and get on one of his trips if you can. I haven't had a chance to travel internationally yet with him, but hope to someday (either Iceland which he really loves, or Africa)