Monday, April 28, 2008

Highlight bird from this weekend

Prothonotary Warbler at Ell Pond in Melrose MA


Work has continued to be very busy, so I've not had any time to get out for lunch breaks to do a little birding during the week, which helps to break the day up nicely. Nor have I even had much time to do any of the other things I usually do on my breaks. (Post-processing of photos, entering sightings, blogging, eating etc) That being said, I still have every intention of posting a trip report soon from our trip to Texas with Paul & Diana. I just need to finish entering all our sightings into Avisys (have 3 out of 9 days done so far) and finish transcribing my notes.


I know that we saw over 160 species while there, and Pamela got her 500th ABA bird. So did Diana. Paul had just reached that mark before we left. I didn't reach any plateaus myself but I did get 8 or 9 'lifers' on this trip which puts me 'in spittin' distance' of 600.


We have made it out for birding on the weekend though. The highlight was the bird shown above. It seems each year one or two are spotted in the area, but they only stick around a very short time. They are not common around here, and I'm guessing they have overshot their destination and after a day or two of re-fueling, head south again.

All for now. I will try to enter a more verbose post soon...