Sunday, June 21, 2009

Skimming Bluet for June Photo-a-Day

Skimming Bluet (Enallagma geminatum)

It seems inevitable to me, that anybody who develops an interest in birds, also gains a greater appreciation for the rest of the natural world around them. After all, birds are just a piece of the eco-puzzle, and to understand them better, you really need to know more about the world they inhabit. I'm not saying that all birders must become interested in other things - but those that go beyond just looking at the birds (and there is nothing wrong with that) will eventually find the other members of the ecosystem interesting too. As I have become more and more interested in what birds do, why they do it, etc, my interest in the rest of the natural world has grown too. No where is this more evident to me than in my growing interest in dragonflies, damselflies, butterflies, moths, and various bugs. I know several birders that have been interested in dragons and damsels for a while now, but until this past year I liked seeing them go by, and maybe was able to identify one or two of the easier ones. Now I am making a much more concerted effort to photograph and try to identify them - and have even started to consider purchasing a good dragonfly net to help get a closer look at some of those ones that just won't seem to sit still for more than a second.



Has you interest in birds led to any other new hobbies?